For some people, a tattoo is more than a piece of body decoration. It speaks volumes about their personalities, characteristics, and inner desires. Therefore, many spend a great deal of time and effort choosing suitable tattoos.
Among the most common designs, quote tattoos are definitely a favorite. Not only do they carry a deeper meaning, but they also leave room for self-customization.
If you intend on having such a tattoo, let’s have a look at the article below. You will get to know the veni vidi vici tattoo meaning – one of the most frequent quotes printed on a body part, as well as various quote tattoos for inspiration!
What Is The Meaning Of Veni Vidi Vici Tattoos?
Veni vidi vici is a Latin phrase, which is translated literally into “I came, I saw, I conquered.” This powerful saying was said to originate from Julius Caesar – the famous Roman emperor. So, what are the circumstances of its emergence?
Historians believe that Ceasar penned this line in a letter sent to the Roman Senate right after he successfully brought down Parnecles II of Pontus in the Battle of Zela.
The landslide victory was made even more impressive considering the fact that Ceasar only had an army of no more than 11000 soldiers, as opposed to the 20000 soldiers under the command of his opponent.
To inform others of this conquest, Ceasar proudly claimed that he came to the battlefield, he took in what he wanted to have, and he made them all his property.
To this day, the bold statement still holds significant meaning, as it exudes confidence, assurance, and ambitions.
Modern men and women inherit the mighty spirits from Ceasar and decide to wear his words on their own skin. Below are some of the well-known interpretations.
- Enlightenment: Some people have a hard time finding their place in the world. To truly determine where they belong, these people have to be at numerous places, both physically and mentally.
Thus, the quote “veni vidi vici” shows how they have finally reached a stage of clarity and intelligence.
- Reverence to Roman history and culture: Ceasar is undoubtedly among the most influential figures. That is not to mention how his heritage and legacies are closely tied with the Roman empire. This is an era where art, literature, architecture, politics, maths, religions, governance, laws, etc. flourished.
As a result, it should be no surprise that people choose to ink “veni vidi vici” on their body parts as a heartfelt tribute.
- Readiness to deal with difficulties: To overcome an obstacle is no easy task, whether it is to defeat a large army or merely personal challenges. By embracing this compelling phrase, the wearer displays their commitment and determination to achieve their targets.
- Survival: Sometimes, you might see war veterans having “veni vidi vici” on their arms or chests. The phrase comes with a different meaning to these people. In a literal sense, they have come, have seen, have conquered, and have returned home safely.
Not all men going to war could afford such a privilege of being alive. Having such a tattoo acts as a reminder of their painful past, yet somehow they still managed to come back to life.
- Aesthetic purposes: While this quote does mean something, there are people who are more invested in its appearance. “Veni vidi vici” sounds almost sing-songy and can be written in cursive.
Not only is it visually pleasing, but it also piques the curiosity of whoever happens to lay eyes upon the tattoo.
Common Elements Found In Veni Vidi Vici Tattoo Meaning
You are not likely to see the phrase “veni vidi vici” standing on its own. The majority of tattoo-wearers add more details to the quote itself to enhance the meaning.
- A laurel wreath: Generally speaking, a laurel is representative of victories and success. Roman emperors wore a wreath made from laurel whenever they showed up in public.
The association between this tree and triumph makes it a perfect emblem to go alongside “veni vidi vici”.
- Roman numbers: Occasionally, the letter “i” in the phrase will be replaced by the number “I.” This is because the numeral system is a direct product of Roman times. Subsequently, some people want to have a tattoo that is commemorative of its origins.
Similar Quote Tattoos Like Veni Vidi Vici And Their Meanings
“Veni vidi vici” is not the only Latin phrase that makes it to human’s body skin. Should tattoo quotes be your cup of tea, let’s have a look at the suggestions below.
Audere Est Facere: This is translated into “to dare is to do.” The quote sings praises of courage and bravery, making it a suitable decoration for those willing to face adversaries in life.
Carpe Diem: This quote is even more classic and better known than “veni vidi vici.” Made popular by the movie “Dead Poet’s Society,” carpe diem means “seize the day” – an urge to take action immediately.
Ignis aurum probat: Have you been through hell recently? Having the phrase “fire tests gold” inked on your skin in Latin will be a testament to your own experience.
After reading this article, hopefully, the veni vidi vici tattoo meaning will be crystal clear to you. If you are looking for a powerful quote to boost the spirits, then this one definitely meets the requirements. Make sure to double-check with the tattoo artist so that you can get a personalized design!